Intelligent Transport Systems UK (ITS UK), the voice of the transport technology sector, is pleased to announce it is an official partner of Better Transport Week (12-18 June), a week-long celebration of sustainable transport organised by leading transport charity Campaign for Better Transport.
Better Transport Week runs from 12 to 18 June 2023 and aims to promote the wide range of benefits of public transport, walking and cycling and encourage more people to travel sustainably.
ITS UK is one of a number of organisations supporting the week including the Department for Transport, local authorities, transport industry, NGOs, businesses and passenger groups.
Max Sugarman, Chief Executive of Intelligent Transport Systems UK, said: “Whether it’s encouraging the use of public transport or getting people to pick healthier travel options like walking and cycling, transport technology has a major role to play in supporting a more effective, greener and safer transport network. We’re delighted to be a partner in the Campaign for Better Transport’s Better Transport Week, and look forward to celebrating the role of intelligent transport in delivering better transport for all, with our members and stakeholders, during the week in June.”
Norman Baker from Campaign for Better Transport said: “What better way to celebrate Campaign for Better Transport 50th year than with a celebration of sustainable transport? We are delighted to have ITS UK on board as an official partner for the week and are looking forward to working together.”
Better Transport Week will feature a different transport theme each day with events, promotions and actions taking place throughout the week.
- Monday 12 June – Rail Day. The public launch of the week at Kings Cross Station in London along with a rail industry roundtable.
- Tuesday 13 June – Bus and Coach Day. Celebrating our most used form of public transport with the public encouraged to thank their driver and share why buses and coaches are important to them.
- Wednesday 14 June – Local Transport Day. Celebrating the transport we use day in day out with a transport roundtable in Manchester and a ‘Ride to Rail’ social media challenge.
- Thursday 15 June – Health Day. Highlighting the health impacts of transport on National Clean Air Day.
- Friday 16 June – Business Day. Focussing on how businesses can reduce their transport emissions and encourage their employees to travel to work more sustainably.
- Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 June. Rounding off the week with two days of promotions that aim to celebrate public transport, walking and cycling.
ITS UK will be holding its Parliamentary Reception as part of Better Transport Week on the Wednesday 14 June, with more information available here: https://www.its-uk.org/event/parliamentary-reception-event/
For more information visit www.bettertransport.org.uk/better-transport-week
Notes to Editors
- Better Transport Week runs from Monday 12 to Sunday 18 June and aims to promote public transport, shared mobility and active travel to mark the transport charity’s 50th year of campaigning. Better Transport Week is supported by Arup, Assertis, Asthma & Lung UK, Beryl Bikes, Bus Users UK, Byway Travel, Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority, Campaign for National Parks, CAMRA, Clean Cities Campaign, Community Rail Network, Coventry City Council, Cycling UK, Department for Transport, Eurostar, GBR-TT, Global Action Plan, Go Jauntly, Go-Ahead Group, Good Journey, Green Alliance, Independent Rail Retailers, Intelligent Transport Systems UK, JFG Communications, Leeds City Council, Lime Bikes/Scooters, Living Streets, London Travel Watch, Loud Mobility, Love to Ride, Mobility Lab, Mobilityways, Mums for Lungs, Network Rail, Next Bike, Nottingham City Council, PATTH, Pedal Me, Rail Freight Group, Railway Industry Association, Reading Buses, Smart Transport, Strava / Strava Metro, Suffolk Council, Sustrans, The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, Tier, Trainline, Transport Action Network, Transport and Environment, Transport East, Transport for Greater Manchester, Transport for West Midlands, Transport Planning Society, Urban Movement, Urban Transport Group, Virgin Trains Ticketing, Women in Transport, Zipcar.
- For more information visit: https://bettertransport.org.uk/better-transport-week
- About ITS UK: Intelligent Transport Systems UK (ITS UK) is the voice of the transport technology industry. ITS UK provides a national platform to support the roll out of technology for a cleaner, safer and more effective transport network, both at home and abroad. We support our 150+ members – from both the private and public sector, and covering all sizes and disciplines – through advocacy to policy makers, connecting people and organisations, promoting the industry overseas and supporting innovation across the intelligent transport ecosystem. www.its-uk.org
- About the Campaign for Better Transport: Campaign for Better Transport was founded as Transport 2000 on 6 February 1973. 2023 marks its 50 th year of campaigning for all communities to have access to high quality, sustainable transport that meets their needs, improves quality of life and protects the environment. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929) which operates in England and Wales.