This submission responds to the London Assembly Transport Committee’s call for evidence on the creation of a smart road user charging scheme for London.
The response focuses on:
- The technology available to implement a smart road user charging system.
- Whether and how such a system could be designed to deliver distance based charging.
- The policy outcomes, such as the impact on congestion and carbon emissions.
- The potential impact on London’s roads.
- International examples of similar road user charging schemes.
With thanks to Mike Hayward, Transport Logic, and Richard Sallnow, PA Consulting, both of the ITS UK Road User Charging Forum and Andy Graham of White Willow Consulting, for their contributions.