27 January 2023: Josephine James of the Leeds College of Buildinghas been announced as the winner of Intelligent Transport Systems UK’s (ITS UK) 2022 Early Careers Poster Award.
The Competition saw students and apprentices submit posters looking at key issues and topics within intelligent transport. Candidates were asked to focus on three topics, from:
- Transport – A data mine
- Multi-modal journeys – An ever-expanding dimension
- Perception and Human Factors – shaping the mobility of the future
Joesphine’s entry, which looked at ‘perception and human factors’ was declared the winner by a panel of three judges – Max Sugarman (Chief Executive of ITS UK), James Hornsby (Early Careers Director) and Rachel Coe (Arup).
The judges concluded that Josephine’s poster was very relevant to her chosen theme and the presentation itself was highly creative and of excellent quality, whilst providing an in-depth look into the human factors around mobility. She also was congratulated on conveying a holistic approach and demonstrating creativity, whilst communicating her message effectively.
Max Sugarman, Chief Executive of Intelligent Transport Systems UK (ITS UK), said: “Many congratulations to Josephine on becoming our 2022 Poster Competition Winner. The award is much-deserved – Josephine’s work focused on the complexity of human factors around intelligent mobility, looking at how transport providers need to consider different communities throughout their work. It demonstrated some complex issues, in a creative and clear manner.
“Thanks too to all those who submitted entries, all of which were of a very high quality. The competition has really shone a light on the knowledge, dynamism and ability of the next generation of intelligent transport professionals.”
Josephine James, winner of the 2022 ITS UK Poster Competition, said: “Thank you so much for the opportunity and the consideration from the panel. To be selected the winner against such fantastic competition is an honour. What an exciting start to 2023!”
The announcement, which was made on 26 January at the ITS UK Early Careers Forum, will see Josephine’s poster published on Highways News and shared by ITS UK across the industry.
Notes to Editors
- Winning Poster attached. Josephine’s presentation, which provides the thinking behind her design, can be found here. This document is detailed analysis of each slide of her slide pack presentation.
- Find out more here about the Poster Competition.
- About ITS UK: Intelligent Transport Systems UK (ITS UK) is the voice of the transport technology industry. ITS UK provides a national platform to support the roll out of technology for a cleaner, safer and more effective transport network, both at home and abroad. We support our 160+ members – from both the private and public sector, and covering all sizes and disciplines – through advocacy to policy makers, connecting people and organisations, promoting the industry overseas and supporting innovation across the intelligent transport ecosystem. www.its-uk.org.uk